Good Business Lawyer.Conventional wisdom (and many lawyers) will tell you, if you own or run a business, you will have problems if you do not have a good lawyer. But when I hear this, I consider it a negative statement, which irritates me frankly. I guess savvy business people do not want to be told and be told that if they do not have a lawyer, they will be too naive or inexperienced to avoid the pitfalls.
Good Business Lawyer Do not assume that you need
Another way of saying this is that I personally hate to do anything to get away from something. I prefer to make choices that allow me to move toward the perceived benefits of my actions. I am therefore addressing my clients accordingly.
With this in mind, I will rephrase the main benefit of being an excellent lawyer. You should therefore consider your company as your partner.
Now, if you are looking for a lawyer or a lawyer. But first a definition. What is a business lawyer? I personally distinguish a business lawyer from a lawyer specializing in business or business law. For me, the business lawyer, in the classic sense of the term, is the classic lawyer-client relationship, where the lawyer is more than someone who produces paper. I define the business lawyer as your near-professional partner or confidant. Someone you can trust, who can solve your problems, understand you and help you grow.
Now, here is my TOP 10 tips for choosing a great lawyer, without any importance order.
10 . Do not assume that you need a large, first-rate company . I come from several large law firms. They are an excellent law and sometimes you need the “mark” or “label” of the big law firm next to you, for example if you become public. But for a job more common, you do not need such a company. They are expensive and combine many layers. You will pay up to $ 1,000 per hour or more. If your budget is a quarter of that amount, you will probably be dealing with a junior associate. It really depends on your needs and your budget.
9. Do not focus only on the billable hourly rate If you are hesitating between someone who costs you $ 250 at the time and someone who d & rsquo; other at $ 350 / hour, do not make your decision strictly about the costs. What counts are two things: first, what will be the final bill, then what will be the value. The hourly rate is a red herring. What is the point of asking for $ 250 an hour if the person needs more than $ 350 an hour and only needs 20 hours? Especially if the lawyer can do it better. The billing policy is a thorny issue and priority to deal with in a few lines. My point is simply that the hourly rate is not the end and all.
8. Look for someone with whom you would be happy to have a drink. If you want to succeed, you must personally connect with him. It’s your advantage for your life as a near-friend. For this to happen, there must be a personal chemistry.
7. Look for work experience. If your business lawyer is speaking to your company, it is essential to say that professional experience is essential. Once again, you must have a junior associate who has just left school and who has real professional experience.
6. Search for a person open to a fixed fee arrangement . I do not know what to do with a lawyer. Although this is often difficult to estimate for a lawyer, he / she may be open to a flexible or fixed fee arrangement. And he (she) should be at least a good idea about the fees.
5. Search for a negotiator and not a licensor . In any commercial transaction, there may be dozens of reasons why the agreement is not correct. You do not want a lawyer. It takes a practical approach. It’s all about business risk and your lawyer should advise and advise you.
4. Think of your business lawyer as a part-time vice-president. Some business lawyers are open-ended arrangements where they will agree to act on a part-time basis. A lawyer can offer a number of days a month for a fixed amount. It can save you money and help you grow your business with a smart person inside your company who understands your business perfectly.
3. Find someone with good business relations. Getting things done in this world often requires a good commercial network. Having access to this through your lawyer is invaluable.
2 . Find a person. If you do not want anyone, do not oppose everyone around her. Have someone who is well connected with other people.
1. Think about the bottom line. Lawyers Cost Money I do not think this should be your first thought. You should be wondering if, by spending more than $ 1,000, your lawyer can help you generate $ 2,000. If so, the lawyer is not a cost. He (she) is a co-generator or a rate of return of 100%. If you think about it and your lawyer delivers, the cost will not be bad.
With these elements, you will be able to make the best decision for what works for you.